Sunshine quilt

Sunshine quilt

Monday 3 February 2014

Look what arrived from the US!


I have been waiting for this to arrive from Glorious Color and here it is. 6 yards of Philip Jacobs Picottee Poppy in Ochre. It's destined for the back of my orange brown quilt that has been testing my patience. It's due to test my patience some more as I make the massive sandwich ( 72 inches by 108 inches). But I will not be defeated. I love this pattern, especially the different shades of the outside of the poppies - lovely soft and unexpected pinks and blues.

I really want to do a wide grid machine quilt on this, in line with the blocks. I've bought a lightweight wadding in the hope that I can stuff it through my machine, but I've no idea if this will work. My contingency plan is to hand quilt, but that will take me an age. So fingers crossed - you live and learn!

2 comments:

  1. I don't usually machine quilt large quilts so I am no encouragement one way or another for machine quilting your quilt. However, are you familiar with what I call 'big stitch'? I use crochet thread and a larger needle and I can see it on your orange brown quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of big stitch - I do know what you mean though - and I will certainly consider it. I think I will try the machine first. If I start with the centre line I will know right away as that will be the maximum amount of fabric. So if I can do that it will definitely work. We shall see. Unfortunately work commitments means it 's not likely to get sandwiched till at least the weekend. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!