Sunshine quilt

Sunshine quilt

Thursday 6 February 2014

I can drive a car therefore I can free motion quilt?

I find it so frustrating that I have the hand/eye/foot co-ordination to drive a car ( a manual - so lots of clutch control!) but I find free motion quilting so difficult. I was determined to try a new FMQ pattern on the border of a quilt I am working on. I wanted to do a paisley design. So I watched the craftsy lesson, I did several practice sessions, I drew loads of teardrop shapes and pivoted and echoed just like the teacher said . I'm quite pleased with the result but it just felt sooooo difficult.
Here is what I achieved. You can just about see the paisley quilting in the dark blue border

The whole quilt

Detail on the back



Do you remember when you were learning to drive and the instructor said turn right and it just didn't feel like there was enough time to look in your mirror, indicate, change down and turn the wheel? Well that's what FMQ feels like at the moment to me. I'm persevering in the hope that since I did learn to drive I will learn to FMQ but it its a hard road at the moment.

I have also done some quilting with the walking foot round the edge which was much more soothing. I did nearly bottle out of the FMQ for something in my comfort zone, but while the paisleys are very far from perfect I'm glad I tried. I was quite enjoying it by the end and felt a little bit more in control so I guess there is hope for me yet.

Easy straight line quilting



3 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I remember learning to drive and it did become more natural with practice, just like they said! I think I am where you are with our FMQ and our practice. Today I worked on feathers on my outside border. Of course, they could be better . . . . I still feel good enough about the quilt to gift it for a new baby! I couldn't see your quilting closely, but, the overall quilt looks great! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors. your comment on driving made me laugh. How true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele. It was a luxury choosing the colours for this quilt as it is just for me. I haven't worried about matching any rooms or furniture - I just chose exactly what I liked!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!