Sunshine quilt

Sunshine quilt

Monday 20 January 2014

Colour continued


Last year I finished the Southampton Blanket. This was my ongoing and relatively undemanding crafty thing that came with me every time I packed up my little suitcase and my car and headed off to the Premier Inn at Southampton for work. That blanket is now finished and lives on my bed and a new blanket is in progress. Just as before this one comes with me on my travels to while away time in hotel rooms. My ideal project for this is that it is easy to pick up and put down and doesn't require a lot of concentration to do. The pattern for this blanket caught my attention on the Stitches Galore blog. It's a perfect project for my travels. It uses beautiful Shetland wool from Jamieson's and you simply work your way through the shade card. Totally relaxing as someone else has made the colour choices for you! I also have to work s-l-o-w-l-y with this project as the wool is expensive so I can only afford to buy a batch every now and then. At the moment I'm just moving from browns to yellows.

This is a real education to me as none of these are my colours of choice - blues, reds, purples and greens are far more my thing. However I am pleasantly surprised by how much I like these colours and also how they are affected by what is next to them.

The blanket I am making is for a double bed. The width is no problem as the pattern is easy and very repetitive. It's all made up of treble crochet with regular decreases and increases to form the chevron pattern. I think the pattern is in The Gentle Art of Knitting by Jane Brocket. On the Stitches Galore blog there is also a blanket done in a ripple crochet pattern, the pattern for which can be found on the Attic 24 blog.


There is nothing very creative about my blanket - but it is pure crafty relaxation. All my creative energies are going into a quilt I'm designing and making - which is still quite a new thing for me ... more of that soon.

3 comments:

  1. Your chevron crochet is gorgeous! You are making beautiful progress! And you have certainly piqued my curiosity with the mention of a quilt in the making.... Can't wait to see! Thanks so much for joining in the linky party at Sew Fresh Quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me a crocheted afghan--they ARE so soothing to create. Yours is turning out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blanket! and those are my colors too-I love earthy, a perfect project for when you are traveling.
    I am visiting from lets bee social-so nice to meet you
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!