Sunshine quilt

Sunshine quilt

Wednesday 11 December 2013

Quilt unloved - but not unlovely!



You might wonder about the title of this post - so I will explain. When I went to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham this year I ( along with many others I guess) subscribed to Popular Patchwork Magazine and they very kindly gave me the choice of two Jelly Rolls as a free gift. Neither were really my style - but I chose the muted greens, reds and blacks you can see above. When I got it home and undid it I knew it just wasn't for me - nothing wrong with it - but just not my thing. So it got put away until I realised it most certainly would be my mum's choice of colours. She lives in a very old, rather dark cottage where those colours would live very happily.

So then, what quilt pattern to follow? Well if you have read about my earlier brush with the quilt police in my post last week you will know matching seams makes me nervous. Why then (I hear you ask) did you choose to make a quilt where there are loads and loads of six lots of seams to be matched at the join of every hexagon? I think the real answer was because I wanted to know that I could!

The pattern I used was Hexagon Quilt Garden from this book by Pam and Nicky Lintott. To be honest other than all that seam matching it wasn't that hard although I did get in a bit of a muddle sewing all the triangles together. A very useful tip I learned from one of my Craftsy lessons was to quilt the top in invisible thread. I quilted all the triangles extending each straight line across the border. Invisible thread makes it so much easier to hop over the odd dodgy join without it showing.

So fabric and method unloved - but the quilt is by no means unlovely I think. I don't like it - but I accept that others will and I am pleased with the result.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!